The RRP Rule in Rhode Island

Renovations that disturb lead paint can poison family members, visitors, and neighbors. To keep properties safe from lead hazards, Rhode Island's Renovation, Repair, and Painting (RRP) Rule requires contractors, painters, and other workers doing renovation, repair, or painting on pre-1978 homes or child care facilities (including daycares, preschools, and elementary schools) to work for licensed Lead Hazard Control Firms.

Who needs to be aware of this rule?

Rhode Island's RRP Rule applies to contractors, landlords, property managers, homeowners, and anyone else who disturbs painted surfaces on pre-1978 homes or child care facilities. This includes general contractors as well as special trade contractors, such as painters, plumbers, carpenters, and electricians.

What activities are covered by the rule?

The RRP Rule applies to any renovation, repair, or painting that disturbs six square feet or more of paint per room on the interior or 20 square feet or more of paint on the exterior of a pre-1978 house or other regulated facility. Examples of lead hazard control or regulated activities include window replacement, remodeling, repair/maintenance, electrical work, plumbing, painting, carpentry and any type of demolition. Not all projects are regulated by the RRP Rule. Note that landlords with employees must also follow Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations.

What does the rule require me to do?

Training requirements: contractors, painters, and other workers must complete an Initial RRP training given by a licensed training provider.

Licensing requirements:

  • If you do work in Rhode Island:

    Once training is complete, an individual must apply to be a licensed Lead-Safe Remodeler/Renovator in the state of Rhode Island. All Rhode Island licensed Lead-Safe Remodeler/Renovators must be affiliated with licensed Lead Hazard Control Firms. Individuals and firms must renew their licenses every five years after completing a refresher course.
  • If you do work in other states:

    Check with your local authorities to determine whether you must meet extra regulations or state-specific licensing procedures.