Resources for Homeowners

If you own a pre-1978 home, you need to learn about lead poisoning prevention! Fortunately, Rhode Island has many resources to help you keep your family or tenants safe.

Grants, Loans, and Tax Credits for Lead Hazard Reduction

  • If you own a house in Providence, RI and need help paying for lead remediation, contact Alida or Jennifer at the Community Action Partnership of Providence at
    401-467-4847 ext 102, to find out if you qualify for the Providence Lead Hazard Reduction Program.
  • If you live elsewhere in Rhode Island, contact Rhode Island Housing at 401-450-1350 to find out if you are eligible for grants and loans through their LeadSafe Homes program, or call the partner agency closest to you:
    • Blackstone Valley Community Action Program: 401-475-5023
    • West Bay Community Action Program: 401-732-4660, x148
    • East Bay Community Action Program: 401-437-0006, x173
  • 2014 Residential Lead Abatement Tax Credit form (RI-6238) for Lead Hazard Mitigation or Abatement.

Premios y Préstamos para Reduccioón de Peligros por Plomo

  • Si usted es dueño de una casa en Providence, RI y necesita ayuda pagar por remediación de plomo, contacta Alida o Jennifer en Community Action Partnership of Providence (Asociacioón de Acción Comunitaria de Providence) al (401) 273-2000 ext. 188 para saber si califica para la Programa de Reducioón de Peligros de Plomo).
  • Si usted vive en otro parte de Rhode Island, contacta,Rhode Island Housing(Viviendas de Rhode Island) al 401-450-1350 para saber se usted es eligible para recibir préstamos o otros fundos y premios por parte de su programa LeadSafe Homes (Hogares Salvos de Plomo), o llame a la agencia asociado más cercana a usted.
    • Blackstone Valley Community Action Program (Programa de Acción Comunitario de Blackstone Valley): 401-723-4520
    • West Bay Community Action Program (Programa de Acción Comunitario de West Bay): 401-732-4660, x126
    • East Bay Community Action Program (Programa de Acción Comunitario de East Bay): 401-437-0006, x173

Legal Responsibilities

If you own a rental property built before 1978, you have many legal responsibilities related to lead. In Rhode Island, most landlords are required to take the Lead Hazard Awareness Seminar, which teaches you about how to follow the law and protect your tenants. More lead poisoning information for landlords can be found here.

Fact Sheets & Brochures

Guidelines to Prevent Retaliatory Evictions

Guide to Lead Safety in Historic Buildings in RI

A Property Owner's Guide to Lead Inspection Services in RI

EPA Pamphlet- Protect Your Family From Lead In Your Home

EPA Tenant Disclosure Notification

EPA Seller Disclosure Notification

Proteja a Su Familia Contra el Plomo en el Hogar pdf

For New Owners (Spanish Version)

For Current Owners (Spanish Version)

For Owners of Ten or more properties

Resource Fact Sheet

Tenant's Rights and Responsibilities


Application for Presumptive Compliance

Notice of Deteriorating Conditions

Notice of Deteriorating Conditions (Version En Español)

Affadavit of Completion of Visual Inspection

Affadavit of Completion of Visual Inspection (Version En Español)

Application of Variance